When I first heard about black bean brownies I have to say I was a bit intrigued. I love food with a creative flare, especially those that have a healthy twist on things. It took me a while to finally give it a try but when I did I have to say I was shocked at how good it tasted (nothing close to black beans). This vegan black bean banana brownie recipe is my own version of flare. I promise you will love it.
As a food blogger I’m constantly trying different combinations of foods, flavors, and ingredients. This fully plant powered vegan brownie is made with both black beans and bananas. A combination thats delicious, sweet and fudgy, making these one of the best brownies I’ve ever had. Not to mention they are full of healthy fibers, plant proteins, and a ton of other feel good ingredients.
When I first made this recipe it was a total flop. It was so soft that you had to eat it with a spoon. Don’t get me wrong, it was still tasty but a little too gooey for my liking. After a couple of tries I got it right. What can I say, some recipes come out perfect but other take a few tries. Luckily the flops are still enjoyable in our home.
These vegan black bean banana brownies are 100% flour less, nut-free, dairy free, free of refine sugars and 1000% delicious. It’s so good its hard not to eat the whole thing. When I make these, I like to add a scoop of banana ice cream and if I’m really feeling creative I will make the chocolate sauce from my raw vegan chocolate dipped strawberry hearts recipe and drizzle it on top. So yummy!
Why Use Black Beans?
Black beans are very high in fiber and protein. They are also rich with vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, calcium, iron, and manganese. Black beans also have high levels of flavonoids, which have antioxidant abilities, particularly anthocyanin, and contain some omega-3 fatty acids. Black beans aid in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. Consuming black beans can also aid in digestive health and the regulation of the body’s blood sugar levels. My favorite is that you get all these added benefits and you won’t even know they are there!
- 3 cups black beans (2 cans black beans)
- 2 bananas
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8-10 soaked dates
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of Himalayan Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make sure you've rinsed and drained your black beans. Add them to your food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients (banana, coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup, soaked dates and vanilla) and puree until smooth for about 3 minutes. Last add 2 tsp baking powder and pulse until blended thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into a 9x9 square baking dish and smooth the tops with a spoon or your finger.
- Optional: Sprinkle with crushed walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting and removing from pan. They will be tender, so remove gently. Enjoy!
I hope you give this black bean brownies a try and if you do please tag me on Instagram @LiveSimplyNatural, I love to see what you guys are baking in the kitchen. Stay tuned for more healthy plant-based recipes and other tips on eating well and living life naturally :)