I’ve been hard at work developing new recipes for the blog. Last week I added 3 new recipes—Vegan Coconut Thai Curry Soup, The Ultimate Taco Salad, and Fig Newton Energy Bites. I’ve also been busy working on the website, making it mobile friendly and creating a shop to officially launched the Meal Prep Service here in Houston. I got so much positive feedback from all the people who participated in my prelaunch, I can’t wait to see what it becomes. However I have another amazing recipe to share with you. Vegan Vegetable Broccoli & Cheese Soup, made with a vegan cheese sauce that is so creamy and full of cheesy flavor. Your going to love it!
Vegetable Broccoli And Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup has got to be one of my favorite soups. This recipe will be a healthy, low calorie but incredibly filling pot of broccoli cheese soup, served on the table in just 25 minutes from start to finish. That’s right, this soup is not just vegan and gluten free, but it’s also packed with fiber, protein and is dairy free!
The best part, is that it’s a great way to get a ton of vegetables served in one meal. This recipe was inspired by my Raw Vegan Broccoli and Cheese Soup.
Eating well and living life naturally isn’t about fads or the need for radical shifts, you can take it one step at a time, this Vegetable Broccoli and Cheese Soup is at the top of the list easing you into this lifestyle. This is a great recipe to share with your family, a large group of friends, or anyone who doesn’t have a natural affinity for vegetables. Actually, I highly recommend serving this soup with your family, a big group of friends, all snuggled up on the couch, watching movies, cozy socks on your feet, and embracing the simplicity of this soup. Another suggestion, is to make a batch of this soup before your busy week starts so you can literally reheat and enjoy it at work or home.
This soup is quite the meditative process, I think that’s why I gravitate towards cooking and the culinary aspects of food. Don’t get me wrong I enjoying the nutritional aspect of food but being in the kitchen, chopping, slicing, and simmering away by the warm stove is completely relaxing and puts me immediately at ease and centered. I hope you all take the time to enjoy the process of this as much as the outcome- as with all my recipes!
This soup is simply amazing, so creamy and full of cheesy flavor. My kiddos loved it!
- For the cheese sauce:
- 3 diced peeled yellow or red potatoes
- 2 diced peeled carrots
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut
- 3 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tablespoon Himalayan Sea Salt
- For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 medium garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 small broccoli florets (chopped)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- For the cheese sauce: Place the potatoes and carrots in a medium pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain.
- While the potatoes and carrots are simmering, add the nutritional yeast, oil, water, salt, and garlic into a high-speed blender and set aside.
- Chop the onions, garlic, celery and broccoli for the soup and set aside. Tip: I like to use my food processor to this step, it cuts down on prep time.
- When the simmering potatoes and carrots are fork-tender, drain them and add to the blender. Blend the cheese sauce until smooth.
- For the soup: In a large pot, sauté the oil, onion, and garlic over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- To the pot, add the celery and broccoli and sauté for a few minutes more - about 8 minutes. Now, add the broth and cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium heat for about 10. Turn off the heat and let the soup sit for a few minutes.
- Then add the cheese sauce into the soup and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste if desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and swirl cashew sour cream sauce into each bowl. Top with Pan-Fried Garlic Croutons, paprika, and chopped green onion, if desired.