Today, I’m sharing another one of my favorite recipes using lentils, Coconut Curry Lentils with Kale and Potatoes. This soup was a combination of what I have in my fridge and pantry. The final result is a delicious thick and creamy soup with complex flavors, and without the use of any dairy, cream and heavy oils.
Coconut Curry Lentils with Kale and Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (or sub a neutral oil, such as avocado)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cup green lentils, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large yellow potato
- 1 15oz can of coconut milk
- Pinch sea salt + black pepper, plus more to taste
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped green or purple kale
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and slightly brown the ginger, garlic, cumin seed, coriander seed, and curry. Add in potatoes and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Then add 5 cups vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high, add lentils, stir, and cook for 25-30 minutes, uncovered, or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding coconut milk and kale in the last minutes of cooking time, more curry powder for intense curry flavor, or sea salt and pepper for more balance.
- If the soup has thickened too much, add remaining 1 cup vegetable broth or water, stir, and cook until warmed through.