This Blueberry Walnut Summer Salad embraces one of my summer favorites, can you guess what it is? Yes, that’s right, blueberries! Visually, it’s a stunner, but nutritionally speaking it’s also a stunner. It’s loaded with healthy fats, fiber, plant-based protein, and is incredibly nutrient dense from all the dark leafy greens.
Blueberry Walnut Summer Salad
You all know I’m a fan of keeping it simple and letting the whole food flavors naturally shine through, well this is a perfect example of my Live Simply Natural food style. The wonderful thing about this salad, it’s paired with a sweet and citrusy dressing that can easily be replaced with another dressing of your choosing depending on your mood for that day. Sometimes I just squeeze some fresh lemon on top with olive oil, either way it taste great!
The farmers markets are in full swing here in Houston, which is amazing because most of these ingredients are readily available; not just that they’re available, but they’re perfectly ripe, in season, and the flavors are outstanding. There’s no other month I look forward to than May, when I can spend long afternoons or early mornings skimming the overflowing baskets of greens and fresh produce from the farmers here, it’s an absolute treasure!
Because of the simplicity of this salad, it’s perfect to use for your weekly meal prep. Just add your dressing at the bottom and layer your ingredients starting with freshly chopped celery and ending with your favorite greens. Simple as that :)
- 1 large orange (juiced + zest)
- 2 Tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons coconut nectar, or stevia to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 green apple
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 cup spring mix salad
- 3 tablespoons hempseed
- First, you'll want to prep all your produce by thoroughly washing and rinsing.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (except for the dressing) and stir until everything is evenly spread out.
- For the dressing, simply add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until combined. You may also just use a small bowl and a whisk.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until all the ingredients are coated in the dressing. You may also keep the dressing separate until serving for later.
- Enjoy at room temperature/chilled.
- For meal prep, layer ingredients similar to that shown in the picture above starting will dressing, then celery, green apple, blueberries, walnuts and spring mix.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
What’s your favorite summer fruit and veggie? I love them all but blueberries are a favorite and it was so easy to use them in this recipe, share below what your favorite are!
Hope you all enjoy this one and have a beautiful day, stay tune for more healthy recipes :)