Get ready for a party in your mouth! I’m sharing with you all today a recipe I’ve been making for years as a quick lunch or dinner, these Black Bean Taco Lettuce Wraps are loaded with all my favorite Mexican flavors, textures, and are incredibly simple to make. So say hello to these Black Bean Taco Lettuce Wraps full of fiber, protein, healthful fats, and everything you need to satisfy that taco craving with a healthier touch thanks to the black beans and quinoa.
Black Bean Taco Lettuce Wraps
Black beans and a variety of other legumes are always stocked in my pantry. I try to always have three different varieties and black beans are for sure a must. I like to make a big pot and freeze them to grab for a great addition to any meal to instantly boost the fiber and protein.
I love using rainbow chard as an alternative to standard wraps but feel free to use whatever you already have stocked in your fridge. Just use something light, refreshing, and lower in carbohydrate as a wrap is a great combination for the already carbohydrate-rich quinoa salad. I promise even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy this recipe, it’s great as an entree, side dish, or even dolloped on top of your favorite dark leafy green salad for a boost of protein, healthy fats, and minerals.
Quinoa is one of the staple grains I always have in my pantry, it’s a gluten free grain and is perfect to use for both sweet and savory dishes. I use quinoa in this recipe as a hearty grain rich in plant-based protein and fiber, alongside some amazing seasonings and flavors. Quinoa also contains good amounts of magnesium, which are incredibly important for our muscle and nerve function- many people eating the SAD (standard american diet) actually don’t get enough of magnesium through our foods.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1, 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 yellow bell pepper or 1 cup corn
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 lemons
- 1 head of Butter Leaf lettuce or Romaine
- Garnish options: fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeño and/or avocado
- Pinch of salt and/or black pepper, adjust to taste
- ¼ cup vegan cashew sour cream (optional)
- Cook quinoa to package directions.
- In a large mixing bowl add in cooked quinoa, rinsed beans, bell peppers, cilantro, juice of 2 lemons. Stir in taco seasoning. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Next, take one washed and dry butter leaf or romaine leaf and dollop the quinoa mixture in the center, fill with optional garnishes and wrap edges of the butter leaf onto itself as a handheld wrap. Enjoy immediately.
- Store leftover filling in an airtight glass container for up to 5 days in the fridge or 1 month in the freezer. Assemble upon serving.
I hope you enjoy this Black Bean Taco Lettuce Wrap, it’s a BIG crowd pleaser and a family favorite. So make it and be sure to tag me on Instagram @LiveSimplyNatural. I love seeing what you guys are cooking up in your kitchen. Stay tuned for more healthy, plant-based recipes :)