I love to encourage people to connect with their inner foodie, showing them that food can be both healthy and delicious. This simple coconut thai curry recipe was shared with me by a dear friend many years ago, she is always sharing her favorite recipes with me (most of them not vegan). She knows that I love to recreate recipes, healthy or not, to fit my lifestyle and food preferences. I don’t believe you have to compromise your health to enjoy good food.
Simple Coconut Thai Curry Recipe
One factor I always take into account when trying a new dish is, how does it play in the over all benefit of my body? Meals that are nourishing always get extra points with me.
This coconut thai curry recipe is both nourishing, with its variety of vegetables, and delicious. It has a coconut peanut flavor, which is one of my favorite thai combination.
What first comes to mind when thinking of curry is Indian food, but different types of curry can be found all over the world. Places like China, Japan, Southeast Asia, South Africa and the West Indies all have their own unique curry dishes, so the flavors can vary extensively depending on where it’s from.
Would you consider yourself an adventurous eater?
I always love trying new and unusual foods, especially foods from different cultures? Thai food has always been a favorite, so you can imagine how happy I was when I got my hands on this recipe. The original recipe calls for canned coconut milk, soy sauce, oil, and sugar. I knew I could replace these ingredients with something a little healthier.
I know what your thinking, what’s wrong with canned coconut milk?
If you don’t know already know I am not a fan of canned food. I make a strong effort to stay away from high shelf life food and canned food is one of them. When and if I buy canned food, it’s usually for beans and always in a BPA free lining.
This recipe is great as it doesn’t require any canned ingredients. Instead of buying coconut milk in the can I use shredded coconut with water, blended at a really high speed. This technique also makes for a thicker coconut thai curry sauce, which is how I prefer my curry anyway.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 summer squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4–6 mushrooms
- 4 tablespoon Liquid Aminos
- 1 cup thai coconut meat or shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 3 cups water
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Added chopped carrots, broccoli and red bell pepper, squash, and mushroom. Sauté until it vegetables become a little soft.
- In a high speed blender, combined liquid aminos, coconut, yellow curry, nut butter, dates, garlic, ginger, and water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add coconut thai curry sauce into your skillet. Stir a few times to mix everything together. Reduce heat to low medium and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Allow time to cool, mixture should be thick and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with rice, rice noodles or zucchini noodles.
If using fresh coconut meat, 3-4 young thai coconuts make up about 1 cup of meat
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Thai
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 11.7g
- Sodium: 69.2mg
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated Fat: 10.7g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 0g
I hope you give this recipe a try and if you do be sure to tag me on Instagram @LiveSimplyNatural or you can always pin it on Pinterest for later. I love seeing what you guys are cooking up in your kitchens. Stay tuned for more healthy plant-based recipes.