I hope you all are enjoying the beautiful weather, since winter is slowing coming to a close, I’m excited to finally feel the sun on my skin again. But as much as I love the Spring time, I’m definitely going to miss the wonderful winter produce we all have been enjoying. So before it’s to late, I thought it would be good to share one of our favorites this winter season, roasted winter vegetable medley.
Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley
As we experiment in the kitchen, we are always trying to find new ways to make meals that are not only delicious and nutritious, but also easy to make. This recipe is a sweet & spicy mixture of comforting winter vegetables that you can serve on its own or as a side dish. It’s one of the easiest ways to make a fast meal for the family that both looks and taste gourmet.
Some of the great benefits of roasting your veggies is that you use far less oil and it’s also much easier to make because it requires less stirring. All you have to do is simply season your vegetables, line them in your tray and pop them in the oven. Put the timer on (because it’s so easy you might forget your cooking) and toss them halfway during your cooking process.
What you end up with are scrumptious vegetables that are perfectly cooked with tons of flavor. We have tried many different variations but we usually stick to what is simple. This recipe is very easy and can be modify to your liking, adding or removing items from the list if you wish. Cooking with our oven is now one of our favorite ways to cook since it is so simple, we probably do this 3-4 times a week these days, either lunch or dinner. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Why are beets so GOOD for you?
Beets contain high amounts or boron, deeming the red luscious root a natural aphrodisiac. Beets are also high in potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron, folic acid, beta-carotene, beta-cyanine and vitamins A, B and C. Vitamin B is beneficial to the new growth of cells, and ideal for women who are pregnant. The high amounts of iron found in beets help replenish iron lost in pregnant or nursing mothers. Beets are wonderful for cleansing the body.
This miracle plant works to purify the blood, helps prevent various forms of cancer, and acts as a tonic for the liver. Beets also boost your mental health by lowering blood pressure and relaxing the mind through the release tryptophan into the body.
Need an energy boost? Look no further. Although beets have a high sugar content, the sugar is released into your system gradually, providing long-lasting effects.
- 6 carrots (cut into 3-inch pieces)
- 3 beets (cut into 1-inch wedges)
- 2 fennels (cut into ½ inch wedges)
- 1 red onion (cut into 8 wedges)
- 1 lemon (squeezed)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2-4 tbsp fresh oregano (chopped)
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place carrots, beets, fennel, red onion on a baking sheet (Make sure to give them plenty of room, which is key to roasted veggies with nicely browned edges.) Roast in oven for 20 minutes, toss occasionally.
- Meanwhile, sauté coriander, paprika, and crushed red pepper in olive oil over medium heat, stirring often for about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over vegetables and toss with fresh oregano. Roast for another 5 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!
I hope you give this recipe a try and if you do let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram @LiveSimplyNatural! I love to see what you come up with. Stay tuned :)