This simple and easy to make Red Coconut Curry Lentil Soup is hearty and takes less than an hour (mostly hands-off time) to make and is packed full of delicious Indian flavors.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon each: cumin seeds and coriander seeds
- 10 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 in. fresh grated ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of curry
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- A few handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and toast until they start to brown, about 45 seconds. Add the garlic to the pot and let it brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes and sea salt to the pot and cook, stirring the pot a few times, for 5 minutes. Add the lentils and, if using and 3 cups of vegetable both to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Stir the pot a few times to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom. If it starts to look dry, add an extra 1/2 – 1 cup more of vegetable .
- Once the lentils are soft, on a heated skillet add coconut oil ginger, turmeric, and curry and toast for about a minute. Add to the lentils and pour in the coconut milk and halved cherry tomatoes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Enjoy!
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: RED LENTILS, CURRY, COCONUT MILK, SOUP, TOMATOES, QUICK AND EASY, DINNER RECIPE