I’m about to share with you one of the best desserts I’ve ever made, yes, that’s right! It’s one of the best because it completely raw, dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, introducing these AMAZING Raw Key Lime Pie Bars. It’s loaded with healthy fats from the raw crust and cashew cream filling but I also use a secret ingredient to give it a nice green tint and a boost of nutrition in a tasty dessert. And who doesn’t want that…a nourishing guilt free dessert!?
Raw Key Lime Pie Bars (Vegan & Gluten Free)
I know many of you have tried cheese cake and maybe even a raw cheese cake but have you ever had a dessert made with vegetables? Yes, you read that right, vegetables?! You won’t believe that this recipe not only used cashews as the cream base but also zucchini. Say, what?! Yes, zucchini and no one will never know it’s there. Another great think about it is that you get a nice green tint if left unpeeled. You can peel it if you want but presentation is one of my favorite parts about being a chef and you can totally utilizing the nutrients in the zucchini peel to give it a nice green hue.
All you need are a few common ingredients, a high-speed blender and a food processor, and you can make this incredible dessert anytime you want! This Raw Key Lime Pie Bars recipe has a crazy-cool combination of the traditional raw ingredients, using cashew as the bulk of the pie filling, and a large zucchini. The lime balances the sweetness of the maple syrup. And since Spring time is here, its a great recipe to bring when hanging out with friends. I promise people will love it!
My favourite way to eat these bars is to leave them out from the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. They taste like a rich and creamy lemon cream bar! They also store great in the freezer for weeks (or months…if they even last that long!)
- 1 cup medjool dates
- ½ cup whole almonds
- ½ cup whole pecans
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked)
- 1 medium zucchini
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice + zest
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup melted cocoa butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Put all the crust ingredients into a food processor, and process until the ingredients stick together. Scrape down the sides as needed. Be sure to put parchment paper before pressing the crust mixture into your square dish. This will help when it comes time to cut.
- Place all the filling ingredients in your high-speed blender and blend until the filling is completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling evenly over the pie crust and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle your lemon zest on top and place in the freezer to set for at least 2 hours.
- Using a large knife cut into 3'' bars and store in the fridge until ready to eat. Enjoy!
Cashews, zucchini and lime, whatcha think of those combinations? Let me know how you like this recipe in the comments below. It also helps if you rate the recipe when you try it so I can continue to improve them for you. Be sure to snap a picture when you make it at home and share it on Instagram, tagging your picture with #livesimplynatural to show me how you enjoy this recipe :)