This healthy baked falafel recipe is absolutely delicious, it’s both vegan and gluten free, so it’s a great recipe to offer at parties.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the soaked and drained chickpeas, red onion, parsley, garlic, cumin seeds, salt and pepper. Process until smooth for about 1 minute.
- Using your hands, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time. Shape the falafel into small patties, about 2 inches wide and ½ inch thick. Place each falafel on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the falafels from the oven and carefully flip each one. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes, until the falafels are lightly browned on both sides.
- Be sure to allow at least 1 hour soaking time for the chickpeas. I will usually soak over night then make then in the afternoon with the kids :)
- Do not use cooked or canned garbanzo beans for this recipe!
- Optional: Spread 2 tablespoons of olive oil onto parchment paper, this will make it more crisp on the outside.