This recipe basically is another excuse to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, except this time it’s savory instead of sweet! As you all know, my kids love making pancakes, like this Banana Bread Pancake recipe, and as a family we love breakfast food. So I wanted to make them something that similar to an omelet but simple to make like pancakes. And this Chickpea Vegan Omelet Pancake is made simple by omitting any sweet ingredient used in most pancake batters such as vanilla extract, stevia, berries, etc., but incorporates savory toppings and ingredients such as nutritional yeast, chickpeas, dark leafy greens, vegetables, herbs and spices.
Chickpea Vegan Omelet Pancakes
Like most children, ours love to make us breakfast in the morning. First it was smoothies, then smoothie bowls, and now pancakes. And since teaching them how to make pancakes they have been asking to make them every morning. This was the same for me growing up and once I learning how to make pancakes, I often made them any chance I could. So I wanted to show show my children how easy it is to get creative in the kitchen and still enjoy one of their favorite recipes.
I know adding chickpeas to your pancakes sound a bit odd but trust me you are going to love it. It totally resembles the flavor and feel of an omelet. And adding the spinach filling just totally completes it for me but if your not a fan of cooked green you can really fill this thing with anything.
OTHER WAYS TO FILL YOUR CHICKPEA OMELET…WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU TRY OUT:
- sautéed mushroom and onions
- steamed broccoli
- tomatoes and asparagus
- dark leafy greens
- roasted potatoes
- baked tempeh
- vegan cheese
- pretty much anything you like :)
3 Tips to Making The Best Omelet Pancake
- Pancakes always come out great when you have a non-stick pan! I love using this one here.
- Slow and steady wins the race, let your pancake cook thoroughly before flipping, approximately 2 minutes on each side.
- When storing leftovers, store them in between a sheet of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Thankfully this chickpea omelette is 100% cholesterol free, high in protein from the chickpeas and loaded up with healthy feel good ingredients! It was a hit this past weekend, so I recommend making it with your children, friend, dog or whoever for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner + it’s easy to make a big batch, so any leftovers just store in the fridge and use for later in the week.
- 1.5 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 cup cooked chickpeas or 1 can chickpeas (15 oz)
- ½ cup chickpea flour or GF flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons golden flax seed meal
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan Sea Salt, or to taste
- Toppings// Sliced Avocado, Fresh Tomatoes, Cilantro, Vegan Ranch Dressing
- In a high speed blender ( I used my Blendtec) combine the chickpeas, almond milk, nutritional yeast, garlic, flaxseeds, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, turmeric, and sea salt and blend together until smooth. Allow it to sit while you prepare your filling.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, pour half a cup of the batter on the skillet and move it around gently in circles to help the batter spread out into a large circle. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until it begins to form bubbles and firm up around the edges. Flip pancake over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add filling onto half of the omelette, then gently fold the other empty side over. Cook for 1 more minute. Serve and garnish with toppings of choice, and add sea salt and/or pepper to taste as needed.
Let me know what you think when you give this recipe a try! Leave a comment, rate it and be sure to take a picture and tag me @LiveSimplyNatural on Instagram. Stay tune for more plant powered recipes!