With the rise of Instagram and the hashtag #bodypositive, there’s been a rising interest in body positivity as a movement. What better way to celebrate this movement by creating a post with all the most impactful and inspiring quotes. 50 Quotes for body positivity, self-esteem and body image which are so helpful when I’m struggling with body image issues or am looking to boost my self-esteem. These inspiring quotes can be just the kick start we sometimes need to feel better about ourselves.
Body Positive Quotes For Better Body Image
I’ve pulled together 101 of my favorite body positivity quotes from celebrities, Instagram influencers, authors and regular people like YOU. Save them for your next bad body image day, share them with your friends or download the graphics and use them to uplift others or you can just read them and tell me which one is your favorite in the comments below.
Let’s Talk Body Positive Movement…
It began as a movement to create a space where bodies that have been marginalized by society could exist. A place where bodies that didn’t fit the conventional mold could come together to celebrate, learn from, and support each other.
I’m so grateful for this movement as it’s allowed me to dive deep into my fatphobia and create more self-acceptance and love for all bodies, including my own. This is so important in our world today, so much that I wrote a post on Self Love and Why We Need It.
The fat acceptance movement began in the 1960s, which aimed to tackle anti-fat bias in society by raising awareness of discrimination directed towards overweight and obese people.
This was reborn in the late 2000s when bloggers, activists, and influencers began to use the internet as a forum to discuss being marginalized.
Quotes For Positive Body Image, Self Love, and Body Acceptance
- “Feeling beautiful has nothing to do with what you look like.” – Emma Watson
- “Love your body because you only have one.”
- And I said to my body, softly, “I want to be your friend. It took a long breath and replied, “I’ve been waiting my whole life for this.” – Nayyirah Waheed
- “The best gift you are ever going to give someone — the permission to feel safe in their own skin.”―
- “Fat is not a bad word.”
- “Loving yourself is the greatest revolution.”
- “That game of comparison you play will strip you of the marvel in your story.” – Ariella Estoria @arielleestoria
- “One day I decided that I was beautiful and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see.” -Gabourey Sidibe
- “I am a big girl. A voluptuous, curvy, dress wearing, lesbian. I love my body; it’s the only one I’ll every have. I am allowed to look sexy, feel sexy, and be in love. I am worthy of all of those things. And so are you.” – Mary Lambert
- “Confidence is the only key. I can’t think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself.” – Emma Stone
- “You can be the most beautiful person in the world and everybody sees light and rainbows when they look at you, but if you yourself don’t know it, all of that doesn’t even matter. Every second that you spend on doubting your worth, every moment that you use to criticize yourself; is a second of your life wasted, is a moment of your life thrown away. It’s not like you have forever, so don’t waste any of your seconds, don’t throw even one of your moments away.”―
- “When you discover your self-worth you will lose interest in anyone who doesn’t see it.
- “Your body, your rules. Do not let society fuck you up!”
- “Dear Body, you were never a problem. There is nothing wrong with your size… you’re good enough already.”
- “I’ve finally recognized my body for what it is: a personality-delivery system, designed expressly to carry my character from place to place, now and in the years to come.” –Anna Quindlen
- “Is “fat” really the worst thing a human being can be? Is “fat” worse than “vindictive,” “jealous,” “shallow,” “vain,” “boring,” or “cruel”? Not to me.” –J.K. Rowling
- “This is it: This body is home. This is where I live and hang my hat. This is where I settle into my hips and sit easy in myself, slung together with strong muscles and bones, made gentle and forging with flesh. This body is durable, has lasted for years, hunkered down through fierce storms and allows for the peaceful erosions of age. It is like a cottage on the shore: weathered and well made, a place where a person could comfortable live. I like it here. It is my own.” –Marya Hornbacher
- “Weight loss does not make people happy. Or peaceful. Being thin does not address the emptiness that has no shape or weight or name. Even a wildly successful diet is a colossal failure because inside the new body is the same sinking heart.” ―Geneen Roth
- “You can’t eat beauty, it doesn’t sustain you. What is fundamentally beautiful is compassion, for yourself and those around you. That kind of beauty enflames the heart and enchants the soul.” –Lupita Nyong’o
- “We can’t hate ourselves into a version of ourselves we can love.” –Lori Deschene
- “You have to stand up and say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with me or my shape or who I am; you’re the one with the problem!’” -Jennifer Lopez
- Drew Barrymore – “My limbs work, so I’m not going to complain about the way my body is shaped.”
- “Girls of all kinds can be beautiful—from the thin, plus-sized, short, very tall, ebony to porcelain-skinned; the quirky, clumsy, shy, outgoing and all in between. It’s not easy though because many people still put beauty into a confining, narrow box…think outside of the box.” –Tyra Banks
- “Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.” –Emme
- “There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.”―
- “Women who love themselves are threatening; but men who love real women, more so.”―
- “You are not a mistake. You are not a problem to be solved. But you won’t discover this until you are willing to stop banging your head against the wall of shaming and caging and fearing yourself.”―
- “People often say that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder,’ and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder.” – Salma Hayek
- “I want to enjoy life, and I can’t if I’m not eating and miserable.” -Kate Upton
- “My body is normal, and I’m not trying to prove anything.” – Lucy Hale
- “My smile is my favorite part of my body. I think a smile can make your whole body.” – Serena Williams
- “I don’t wanna be shaped like a girl. I love being shaped like a woman, and trust me, ladies, your man won’t mind either.” -Miley Cyrus
- “I have learned to enjoy my body when I have a few extra pounds on, just being more voluptuous.” -Fergie
- “My heart. My Body. For they are soft. I’m so done being sorry for my softness. Instead, I’ve grown quite fond of it” -Sarah Nicole @thebirdspapaya
- “One day I had to sit down with myself and decide that I loved myself no matter what my body looked like and what other people thought about my body.” -Gabourey Sidibe
- “I’ve never wanted to look like models on the cover of magazines. I represent the majority of women and I’m very proud of that.” – Adele
- “I’m not going to sacrifice my mental health to have the perfect body.” -Demi Lovato
- “I’m not going to conform and hurt myself and do something crazy to be a size 2.” -Amber Riley
- “Who cares if there are lumps on my thighs? I’m guilty of having human legs made up of fat, muscle, and skin, and sometimes when you sit, they get bumpy.” – Kristen Bell
- “I don’t look in the mirror and go, ‘Oh, I look fantastic!’ Of course, I don’t. Nobody is perfect. I just don’t believe in perfection. But I do believe in saying, ‘This is who I am and look at me not being perfect!’ I’m proud of that.” – Kate Winslet
- “I would only lose weight if it affected my health or sex life, which it doesn’t.” -Adele
- “I wish I could tell my younger self that she was always more than a body. She always had more to offer the world than weight loss and flat abs. So much more.” – Megan Jayne Crabbe @bodyposipanda
- “You need to be able to create a relationship with your body. Stop thinking about how other people will judge you, or other peoples opinion and find self-love first” – Harnaam Kaur @harnaamkaur
- “We are a gorgeous, infinite circle of women of all shades, all styles, in all the ways we were made, inside of us everything blooms.” -Alicia Keys
- “My body is not yours to critique and discuss. My body is not yours for consumption. My body is my vessel. An archive of experiences. A weapon that has fought battles only I understand. A library of love, pain, struggle, victory, and mystery. Your eyes cannot define all it has endured. Do not place value upon my body, place it upon my being.” – Sophie Lewis
- In owning the parts of me that I so badly wanted to ignore and hide, I’ve dismantled the shame I’ve held for years, and began building self acceptance for myself in it’s place.” – Lenea Sims
- “You don’t have to fully love yourself. You just have to have that little thread of “I’m doing this for me”.”- Chelsea Charlotte @choosingchelsea
- “You don’t need to be pretty like her, you can be pretty like YOU.”
- “You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful.”
- “The more I like me, the less I want to pretend to be other people.” – Jamie Lee Curtis
That’s it! I hope you enjoyed my list and use them whenever you need. Write them on post-it notes and pin them all over your home, workspace, walls, phones, whatever supports you best.
Follow These Body Positive Influencers!
I just want to thank all my favorite Instagram account that really paved the way and continue to show up leading this community with examples every day on what body autonomy and true self-acceptance look like #irl. Please remember that people who look like me are not the authority on body liberation. I recommend following these accounts if your new to body image work, engage in their content, pay them for their work!
WHAT’S YOUR FAV?
What was your favorite quote? Do you have one that you hold near and dear to your heart? Share it in the comments below or tag us @livesimplynatural or #livesimplynatural so the LSN community can get inspired by it too :)